Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I Couldnt Have Said It Better

Those of you who are regular readers around these parts would know that I am getting married in November ( which is only 7 months away - yes, don’t remind me... ). Now I have never been the kind of little girl who dreamed about a huge princess-y wedding, and neither was I the type to know exactly what dress/theme/flowers/cake I wanted by the time I was 10 years old. Thusly, I have been a little slow off the mark in getting things organised for the big day. The dress is taken care of, both venues and a photographer have been booked, I’ve enlisted the help of a wedding planner to do the decorations ( and she's also sourcing my flowers from the Sydney markets ) and the cake is generously being taken of by Micks aunty. There are plenty of small details to be taken care of but the one big thing I’ve yet to organize is the ceremony.



Despite both being christened, neither of us is religious, so we’ve decided to have our ceremony held in a local park and conducted by a marriage celebrant ( who happens to be my old yoga instructor. ) Because I haven’t been bothered haven’t had time to find my birth certificate yet ( which is somewhere in my filing cabinet, somewhere in the garage ) so we haven’t had an official meeting with the celebrant yet, but I have been pouring over the information she gave me in regards to what style of ceremony she can do, and I have been trawling the internet trying to find some beautiful readings. I haven’t been able to find anything that really resonated with me, and that hadn’t been read to death at other people’s weddings…. Til now.

This morning i was browsing my Google reader list and noticed that the lovely Maxabella  from Maxabella Loves had made a new post, so i clicked on over. What i found was a post in regards to what marriage means. It.Was.Beautiful. I have no other words except to say that what Bella has written rings so true for me, is everything that i would like to say about what i hope for my marriage, and it would make the perfect reading for my wedding ceremony. I have commented on her post and asked if i could get her permission to use her words at my wedding, but i might try and get a hold of her on Twitter to ask the same. I've just re-read over her words again now, whilst writing this post, and they are making me choke up ( Gawd knows how i;d be at the actual wedding ). Please, do yourself a favour, head over to Bella's page and read what she has written - and then pop back here and let me know what you think, and whether you have any recommendations for a second reading....

7 comments:

  1. Just beautiful Amy. I can see why you would want to use those words.

    Do you want a bible reading or some kind of passage?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really is beautiful and so very true! What kind of thing were you thinking of for your second reading? We had a very traditional first reading and then a light hearted poem for our second. It suited us as we were married in a registry office and we wanted a bit of humour as well as the heartfelt stuff, much more our style but not for everyone!

    http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/singlePoem.do?poemId=11737

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing from the Bible ladies - we're thinking either a poem, or a passage from a book, or even song lyrics....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely piece about marriage. And all true. Go for it, if you get permission. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved every word of it!! Hope you get to use it. It's terrible I can't even remember what we used...
    How exciting the count down is on xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely the right words, so well put. You should totally use them.

    A few months ago at my husbands 30th we were talking to another friend of ours, recently (at the time) engaged (in fact, the father of the gorgeous little one I blogged about last night!) and talking about how no matter what people say, being married is the best feeling, knowing you've made this commitment that can't just be walked away from. He was getting pretty excited, and I must say, it was pretty nice to hear my husband saying how much he loves being married to me and that is was the best thing he ever did. He's not a man of many words usually so that really touched me.

    Good luck with all of the plans, I'm sure you'll figure it all out. And November will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm catching up on my blog reading and now I'm all choked up because you are just so lovely, Amy. I am absolutely thrilled that you have found something for your wedding and just know that my words on my post came from the experience of a very happy, very loving union. A good omen for you, I think.

    For the second reading, perhaps you might like one of the readings we used at our own wedding (who knows!?)

    The first was this:
    When I am with you, we stay up all night.
    When you're not here, I can't go to sleep.
    Praise God for these two insomnias!
    And the difference between them.
    The minute I heard my first love story
    I started looking for you, not knowing
    how blind that was.
    Lovers don't finally meet somewhere.
    They're in each other all along.
    We are the mirror as well as the face in it.
    We are tasting the taste this minute
    of eternity. We are pain
    and what cures pain, both. We are
    the sweet cold water and the jar that pours.
    I want to hold you close like a lute, so we can cry out with loving.
    You would rather throw stones at a mirror?
    I am your mirror, and here are the stones.
    --The Essential Rumi, translated by Coleman Barks

    And the second was actually a song - 'Lovely Day' by Bill Withers. It summed it up for us. Check out the lyrics.

    When we walked out of the church, we also had the Dixie Chicks 'Easy Silence' playing.

    I get goosebumps just thinking about our 'lovely day'. x

    ReplyDelete